Section I Preparing to be an EMT-B:
Introduction to Emergency Medical Care (7th Edition Chapter 1)
· This chapter begins by explaining the focus and scope of an EMT-B course and includes information on training and certification requirements. This valuable information is not found in other books and sets the tone for the training the students are entering. It reinforces the fact that no matter where the course is taught and what a program may offer, there are certain universal expectations of an EMT-B.
The Well-Being of the EMT-B (7th Edition Chapter 2 and Chapter 15)
· This chapter provides additional information addressing workplace issues such as cultural diversity, on-the-job stress, avoiding sexual harassment, and substance abuse. These topics are important issues in today's workplace and students need to be aware of them. This chapter also contains the information on Communicable Diseases found in chapter 15 of the previous edition.
Medical, Legal, and Ethical Issues (7th Edition Chapter 3)
· This chapter provides the information necessary to understand the ramifications of situations such as negligence, abandonment, assault and battery, and others dealing with medical, legal, and ethical issues. It explains the Standard of Care and goes in depth in areas requiring special handling and special reporting requirements. These are very important areas for the EMT-B to understand in order to provide the best care for the patient in these exceptional situations.
The Human Body (7th Edition Chapter 4)
· This chapter provides a comprehensive review of anatomy and physiology and is one of the key strengths of the "Orange Book." In addition to discussing the major organ systems, there is also information on the digestive system, urinary system, genital system not typically found in other comparable texts. An informative sidebar on breathing patterns on infants and children is also included. An Online Anatomy Review is available to help students review.
Baseline Vital Signs and SAMPLE History (7th Edition Chapter 5)
· This chapter covers chief complaint, baseline and reassessment of vital signs, and obtaining a SAMPLE history.
Lifting and Moving Patients (7th Edition Chapter 6)
· This chapter provides more in-depth information on proper body mechanics, weight and distribution, and directions and commands. Having this knowledge available will help minimize the risk of injury to students when they lift and move patients.